Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Army of Gingerbread Ladies

Why not, eh? Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, had a terracotta army. Why not a gingerbread army?

For starters, the Chinese Emperor probably had hundreds of helpers, while I was making my little gingerbread women all by myself. It was fun, though, because I was transported back thirty years to my primary school adventures with Plasticine. I spent a happy half hour rolling out Filo clay and cutting out gingerbread women and gingerbread hearts. At one point I noticed that my tongue was sticking out in concentration as I carefully stuck on buttons and smiles. I even felt a bit guilty when I poked a hole in the gingerbread ladies' heads. It felt horribly violent, a bit mafia-esque: Take that, gingerbread woman!

The purpose of these gingerbread goodies is ... to become tags for my finished work. Frivolous and silly - but we love frivolous and silly, don't we?

No comments: