Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Slurping Colour


I love colours, I really do. In fact, just for you, I've toned down the colours on my blog. If damaging people's eyesight were not an issue, I'd have a deep crimson pink background with splashes of apple green and deep orange. Maybe a bit of purple - just a smear - and lots of teal and turquoise. Alas, I have to live vicariously through my yarn basket.

I wouldn't say I have an especially good sense of colour - but I am very adventurous. Actually, one of the most attractive aspects of crochet is the fact that the juxtaposition of odd colours often looks very alarming while the project is in progress. It's only much later, with a bit of distance (and by half-squeezing your eyes shut) that you realise that the combination is actually quite ... okay. Maybe even ... nice. And if not nice, then so spectacularly ugly that it acquires a kind of nonchlant coolness - kind of a devil-may-care ugliness. And they're the most interesting projects.

Yesterday evening I started making 'granny's daughters' - the first round of a granny square. Some people love these but I find them quite odious to make, that's why I try to do a stack of them in the one go. VoilĂ :


Without bothering to contemplate which colours go together, I grabbed yarn and did second rounds, then tipped them out willy-nilly on the window sill to take a photo.


Now I know that some readers are looking at this and thinking, "Fwoaar! Beautiful!" while others are shuddering - but the thing is, I have no idea what it's going to be like (or even what it's going to be) till many, many more colours are added.

Frankly, I can't wait. On to round three!

6 comments:

glor said...

I think willy-nilly is turning out fantastic. These are my type of colors. Love it! Can't wait to see how these progress.

Vaughnde said...

ROFL!!!!!!!!! You just made my Day! I LOVE color too and I love what you have done with these squares. Have fun playing with them and I look forward to seeing what kind of a blanket or lapghan or whatever comes out of these awesome Squares!

Aussie Maria said...

Absolutely in love with the colours. Having a look at nature and how she mixes it up - that says that you are definitely on the right track. Can't wait to see the finished object

Paul & Carla said...

Looks like a cheery, fun project — except that I cannot BEAR to make motifs. (Can't win 'em all.) Granny's Daughters look lovely in their dishes and with their big brothers added in.

Jen said...

I love the colours, can't wait to see what they will turn into!

Anonymous said...

Ok I know this is abit after you posted this but I just caught on to your blog. I love your colors and your "go with the flow" approach to color arranging. I'm like that as well, in fact i go I step farther, I put all my pieces into a large bag, pick a ball of yarn and without looking, reach into the bag to pick the 3 or 4 pieces that I will then use that ball of yarn with. I only interfered with this selection process if the ball of yarn was already used in that square. It may seem abit certifiable but it keeps me from over tampering. :o)