Friday, January 7, 2011

Thank you, readers!

Thank you very much to all my comment-leavers - I won't name you here in case I'm infringing anyone's privacy - but thank you all very much for your help. I am, in fact, knitting in the combined Continental style (which seems to be commonplace in the Eastern European countries - is that right?) It certainly makes life a lot easier to know what I'm doing because I finally understand what I'm doing differently when I watch a tutorial or look at a diagram in a book. Thank you so much for all of your helpful comments and links, you really are a super bunch!

2 comments:

nordwolke said...

Now that I have read all the comments on your previous post, I am pretty sure that my mother also knits the "combo way" mentioned. She has to untwist all her purl stitches at some point. She learned from a German teacher in school and my mother's mother was always totally confused about what she was doing ("Oh dear, all your stitches are twisted!"). Years later, they found out what it was all about. My mother can do the Continental purl but as she got used to purling this combo way, she is much faster with that and never complains about purling. It is just a matter of practise, I think!

Paul & Carla said...

In Combo the purls twist the stitches so that the leading edge of the knit side is on the BACK of the needle instead of the front. To untwist simply knit into the leading edge. THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT! It takes a little while to train yourself to watch for the leading edge but once you have? Easy peasy. At this point I look for the leading edge and knit into it whether it is on the front or the back of the needle unless I specifically want a twisted stitch.

Grumperina's link which I provided on the other post's comments tells you how to handle decreases if you knit Combo. It helps to just think of either left-leaning decreases or right-leaning decreases. Those are accomplished differently in traditional English or Continental knitting vs. Combination knitting. It's not hard but you have to learn how to think. Grumperina offers a lovely chart to help you keep up and remember.